Dr. Massey and Dr. Dourron were pleased to be part of Maybe Baby, a family building information session for LGBTQ individuals and families. The event, hosted by the Family Equality Council, a national advocate for LGBTQ parents and their families, included a panel of speakers who are knowledgeable and experienced in serving this community.
- Kellie Scheer, who is a parent and has been a surrogate several times, started off the information session. She shared her story of having her own natural children and why she decided to become a surrogate.
- California Cryobank, a sponsor of the event, shared about their programs for sperm, egg, embryo and cord banking.
- Dr. Massey, who has been helping LGBT families have babies since the 1980’s, explained the medical side of what the LGBT families face and what their options are.
- Sara Clay, an attorney focusing on reproductive issues, shared some stories of gay couples using surrogates and the importance of having a lawyer well-versed in this very specific field to protect your family.
- Bianca Esquivel from the Independent Adoption Center explained how the adoption process works and how careful both adoptive and birth parents need to be in choosing an adoption agency that has a strong track record of excellence in this complicated process.
- Lila Bradley, with Claiborne, Fox & Bradley attorneys, discussed the legal side of adoption and also emphasized finding a reputable adoption agency for this journey.
After the event, both Dr. Dourron and Dr. Massey enjoyed making themselves available to discuss individual situations as guests mingled with the panelists. Besides California Cryobank being a sponsor, we also appreciated Sojourn, the Southern Jewish Resource Network for Gender and Sexual Diversity, for being a partner to help make this event a success. We look forward to the next information session!
Dr. Massey and Dr. Dourron with Lynn Goldman and Lila Bradley
Dr. Massey and Dr. Dourron with Sara Clay
Dr. Massey and Dr. Dourron with Tatiana Quiroga